Sunday, June 18, 2006

SNOWDON ASCENT SUCCESS









Delighted to report that the first of Peter's 2006 Heart Challenges has been a great success! The top of Snowdon was reached around lunchtime yesterday.

An early 0600 start from the West Midlands with a breakfast stop at Rhug got us to Pen-Y-Pass only to find the car park was already full. We drove down the road to Llanberis and took an open topped shuttle bus up to our starting point.

The weather was glorious throughout... one of those rare occasions when Snowdon had 360 degrees of undisturbed and sunny vistas. We ascended via the Pyg Track taking plenty of liquid on board as we moved on up. There were some welcome gentle breezes with altitude but otherwise the sun and heat were unrelenting.

Despite the fact the Snowdon railway was not functioning the whole world appeared to be on the various trails and the summit! We had a great lunch on the top whilst surveying the sunkissed beaches of the Welsh coastline (did I really say that!).

We descended via the Miners Track to complete a really wonderful day. I'm glad to report that my fitness held and I had no ill- effects. This really underscores what Heart Care Rehabilitation and Aftercare programmes have and are doing for me... thank-you I really appreciate my second chance at life.

A massive thank you to everyone who came along to join me and particularly Simon and Adam who took responsibility for planning and seeing us through the day. It's really reassuring that we have people who know what they're doing on the mountains with us.

A special congratulations to my big sister, Joyce who had never done anything like this before in her life. The climb was challenge for her and a great achievement. I think she may have the bug - roll on Scafell Pike... England's highest peak! If anyone would like to join us for that ascent its on July 15th and details will be on the blog nearer the date. Do let us know if you are coming so that we can expect you. (my email details are in my profile). Again Adam and Simon are planning and leading the day.

More photographs will follow shortly... watch this space!