Tuesday, September 19, 2006

BEN NEVIS SUCCESS! - THREE PEAKS COMPLETED



After a last minute change because of weather forecasts we hit the slopes of Ben Nevis on Sunday 17th at around 10am.

The summit was reached in dreadful conditions at around 2.30pm. However, rain, low cloud, poor visibility couldn't dampen our joy at reaching the top. After climbing the summit trig point for obligatory photographs we sat amongst the ruins of the observatory and sheltered from the wind and rain whilst surveying the peak bothy, the numerous memorials and summit cairns.

The descent was strenuous, slippery and taxing on the knees. We arrived wet through but elated. After some time warming up in the base bar we were able to get back to our hotel for well a earned bath, hot food and dry clothes.

I'm glad to say that we got the hydration right this time and the cooler weather helped considerably.

I must thank my sister Joyce and Dr Colin Flenly for accompanying me on this challenge and making these last few days so memorable and enjoyable. Their encouragement and support have been wonderful. In addition we all enjoyed the company of other walkers, climbers and guides we met from HF (Holiday Fellowship) Holidays.

The 3 peaks challenges have all been milestones on my road to recovery and fitness. Each one has taken me to new levels. I'm under no illusions that I still have more to do but extremely proud at what has been achieved so far.I'm gradually moving from 'plod-plod' to being able to change gear a little more easily. The real test for this will probably be the fun run!.. (are you in training?!)